Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Pistoleras Love The Fuzz

Just got home from a screening of "Hot Fuzz" from the creative team that brought us "Shaun of the Dead."

Two words.
Bril
Liant.

They hit the blend of humor and gratuitous violence that we are shooting for only goofier humor. Superb soundtrack featuring Jon Spencer. Cameos from everyone from Steve Coogan to Bill Nighy to Cate Blanchett.

In the Q & A, I asked how they pitched this project since it's clearly a great concept but what's the logline? Director Edgar Wright answered that they already had funding in place after Shaun so it wasn't a pitch as such. Oh well. Didn't find out any secrets about pitching Pistoleras but it was enough that he remembered me when I went up to him at the after-gathering. He was happy I noticed a small detail. For when you see it, which I know you will, note that after Timothy Dalton mentions a life drawing class and his table dancing clerk, in the next shot there is a framed drawing of a naked chick in the background. He wished us luck on the project and me pulling my old chicken-out, thanked him and walked away.

"But No! I can't leave the evening like this! Again" I thought. And it would have been WAY too dorky to go back over and give him a card or ask for a blurb. So I waited to talk to Edgar's creative partner and the film's star, Simon Pegg. Just as I made my way to Simon, he walked off, strike two!

But just then, I found I was standing next to the film's other star, Nick Frost. I told him the film was brilliant, which it is. And then just got to hang around and joke for a few minutes. At last, a natural moment to talk Pistoleras. He seemed to dig it. His advice to not go over an R rating was to use plenty of red, red fake blood so the violence is more laughable and cartoony (my words). Excellent plan! So yes kids, I finally pulled a producer move and gave him the Pistoleras card, being careful to point out the graphic novel cover on the back which he totally dug. I joked that the card hand-off was super LA cheesy of me but I had to. He agreed it was but laughed that it was his first card of the night and told me I give good card. Tell mom, I'm so proud! With any luck he'll actually check out the website and so forth. The important thing is a proven filmmaker now knows about Pistoleras and who knows where that could lead.

All in all, a super-cool evening. I highly recommend the movie! My guess is "Hot Fuzz" will outstrip "Shaun's" success easily. Well-acted, fab script, well-crafted story, funny, carefully placed details - clearly made by a crew who loved this project. Hmmm, where have I heard about a project like that before?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home